Leonardo Da Vinci was the king of getting things done. He said many profound things on the importance of getting things done like, “I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.” He also said, “A well-spent day brings happy sleep.” Business philosopher and author Jim Rohn also adds to this same philosophy with his saying that, “Without a sense of urgency, desire loses its value.” I was then curious, and not to push religion on anyone, how many times the word “NOW” is used in the bible. Obviously there are so many translations but it seems that over 620 times is a very close number to how many times the command, “Now” is used in The Bible. On the contrary the word “LATER” is only used in 83 instances. This really does not mean much, other than I found it interesting that even in teaching in old times the most powerful Christian and Jewish leaders of all time understood the importance of RIGHT NOW vs. LATER. Oh well, I will get off of this one and research that stuff a later time, but interesting nonetheless.
Many dealerships do not hit their goals and never reach their potential because they fail to embrace the electrifying power of NOW. Instead, they plod slowly along, quickening their step only when time is running out and finding a sense of urgency solely when they teeter on fighting fires and the disasters at every turn. Below I have complied twelve quick thoughts on the power of NOW. Read and apply them, RIGHT NOW!
- There is no power in later. There is only power in NOW. You may never get later, so do it NOW!
- Hesitation and procrastination have broken and derailed more momentum and progress than any other factor.
- Recognize that doing it NOW does not always fully pay off unless you follow through and do more right things consistently. An occasional NOW creates adrenaline, but consistent NOW’S bring change and results.
- Right decisions, done repeatedly, compound success.
- We cannot become great by doing the right things later.
- Don’t let the fact that you don’t know what to do stop you from doing something NOW!
- We are better off to act NOW, then to make a mistake and shoot ourselves in the foot than we are to sit still, do nothing, and have a competitor shoot us through the head (kill shot)!
- Life typically rewards wrong action over the plague of inaction. If you do something NOW and it is wrong, we will realize it, change course and get on with what works. It sure beats constantly discussing but never deciding. Or studying the race but not joining it, better yet sticking our toes in but never taking the plunge.
- Most people are one skill; one talent; one discipline; one attitude away from a breakthrough. But we cannot have a breakthrough until we break from the indecision that has rendered us as static managers/employees or worse yet an inert company.
- When we reflect on our lives, we are more likely to have regret over the things we never did than those that we did do.
- It’s easier to move NOW, if we have gotten resolutely clear about what we want out of life in the first place: where we want to go, what we want to get and who we would like to become as an organization.
- While we cannot go back and start our business or department over again, we can start NOW and make a new end!
As a leader in any organization, it is our job to act as a catalyst and make something happen NOW! Plant the seeds to our next breakthrough by breaking from the mindset, habits or behaviours that enable us to rationalize the waiting game, and all the deliberating and debating that renders us as static.
LET’S ALL GET MOVING NOW!!!!